Attracting and Retaining Top Agribusiness Talent: Non-Immigrant and Temporary Visa Solutions - F-1

February 11, 2015 by Jenifer M. Brown, Partner
Ice Miller can help innovators overcome critical challenges to grow successful agribusinesses. Learn more about the unique business and legal challenges facing food and agricultural innovators and how to protect and grow that innovation in our 2015 Agribusiness Guide. An excerpt follows: 

F-1 (Foreign Students): Foreign students are present in the United States on a temporary basis and are limited to activities approved by their sponsoring college or university. During academic study, foreign students may be permitted to work off-campus pursuant to Curricular Practical Training (CPT) if approved by their school’s foreign student advisor. This permission must be relevant to their field of study and may be full or part time depending on the academic program and other factors. Upon graduation, foreign students can apply for one year of Optional Practical Training (OPT) with USCIS. This employment authorization also must be relevant to their field of study and will expire as reflected on the student’s Employment Authorization Card. Students with degrees in certain STEM fields (science, technology, engineering or math) who are working on OPT may seek a 17 month extension of OPT if they are employed by a company enrolled in the federal E-Verify program.

View Full Site View Mobile Optimized