Nick Reuhs is a partner in Ice Miller's Litigation Group where he concentrates his practice on insurance coverage disputes, risk management, legal ethics and general business litigation.
- Insurance coverage litigation and counseling. Nick regularly advises clients in insurance coverage matters, managing claims and advocating policy construction that maximizes the available insurance recovery. Nick has represented clients in insurance disputes involving a wide variety of losses and exposures, including traditional tort liabilities, property damage, business interruption losses, securities fraud, business torts, employment practices liabilities, environmental losses, technology errors and omission, data and privacy breaches and public employee/official liabilities. Nick also provides policyholders with counseling on pre-loss issues, ranging from assessments of coverage for particular risks to help with securing favorable coverage terms at policy inception or renewal. Nick is on the executive committee of the Indianapolis Bar Association’s Insurance Coverage Section and regularly speaks and writes on insurance coverage issues. He is also a contributing author to a leading insurance coverage treatise.
- Data Security and Privacy. As part of his risk management practice, Nick regularly counsels clients on matters related to data protection and privacy, including breach response, cost recovery and pre-event risk transfer. Nick handled his first data breach in 2007 and has worked on breach responses under Gramm Leach Bliley regulations, HIPAA and each of the state data breach statutes. At the intersection of Nick’s privacy and insurance practices, Nick works with clients to identify and transfer risks through specialty technology and cyber-liability insurance policies. Nick also assists clients with post-event cost recovery from insurers and other indemnitors. Nick has presented to industry and professional groups around the country about cyber-insurance.
- Legal Ethics and Professional Liability. Nick has served as outside counsel to other law firms in malpractice, risk management, law firm management and professional responsibility matters. Nick has spoken to local and national legal organizations about legal ethics and was a contributing author of an ABA treatise on legal malpractice litigation. He is currently the co-chair of the ABA's Section of Litigation Conflict of Interest Sub-committee.
- Business Litigation. Nick also has more general experience representing clients in business torts, contract disputes, and professional liability claims. He has litigated cases in courts and tribunals throughout the United States and has experience in matters ranging from mortgage fraud to securities litigation to mineral rights disputes.
- Risk Management and Regulatory Compliance. As part of his risk management practice, Nick has assisted clients with federal and state regulatory compliance issues related to both safety and information security.
Nick is admitted to practice in the state of Indiana, the Commonwealth of Virginia and the District of Columbia, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia, the District of Columbia, the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana and the District of Maryland. Nick is also admitted to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
Nick received his juris doctorate with honors from the University of Maryland School of Law. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Indiana University. Prior to joining the firm, he was an attorney in the Washington, DC office of a national firm.
“Is your County Prepared for Cyber Crime and Cyber Activism?” published in the Association of Indiana Counties’ Indiana News 29, May/June 2016 issue
"Insurance Coverage for the Internet of (Defective) Things," published in Law360, Oct. 27, 2016
"New Insurance Endorsement Can Protect Businesses From $2.3 Billion Scheme," published in National Underwriter’s FC&S Legal: The Insurance Coverage Law Information Center, Sept. 9, 2016
Nicholas Reuhs & Stephen Peters, The Ethics of Dealing with Insurance Companies (2014)
Nicholas Reuhs, Claims Avoidance and Risk Management for Intellectual Property Lawyers (2014)
Nicholas Reuhs, et al., Ethics for Solo/Small Practitioners (2013)
Nicholas Reuhs, The Law of Lawyers Liability (Virginia Chapter) (2012)
Nicholas Reuhs & Pamela Bresnahan, Legal Ethics for Media Lawyers: Current Issues, Commutations Law in the Digital Age Vol I (2012)
Nicholas Reuhs & Elizabeth Mykytiuk, Ten Notable Conflicts Of Interest Rulings From The Last Year (Or So)(2011)