Phillip Scaletta serves as counsel to the Firm and chairman of the Intake Committee for the Firm. He is a former managing partner and former chair of Ice Miller's Environmental Law Group. Phil's primary practice concentration is environmental law and business litigation.
Phil has over 30 years of environmental law experience in counseling clients on regulatory compliance and defending clients against administrative enforcement actions, civil litigation brought by state and federal agencies, as well as citizens' suits and class actions. He has practiced on a pro hac vice basis in state and federal courts all over the nation. He has extensive work experience in the environmental area, including:
• Representation of natural gas and petroleum pipeline and storage facilities, refineries, chemical manufacturers, steel mills, foundries, recycling facilities, a railroad company, municipalities, utilities, and colleges and universities with regard to matters involving issues and claims under the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and/or CERCLA.
• Defense against claims and enforcement actions brought by governmental and regulatory agencies, citizen groups and private individuals for alleged soil, groundwater and/or surface water contamination in several states, including Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, North Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Texas and California.
• Representation of PRPs in Superfund matters, serving both as chairman of Steering Committees and chairman of Cost Recovery Committees.
• Representation of a major manufacturer of automobile lighting systems in the defense of civil and criminal claims brought by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management , the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Justice, as well as two class actions brought by representatives of individual residents and businesses along the White River as a result of the largest fish kill in the history of the state of Indiana.
• Numerous representations on behalf of clients before the Indiana Department of Environmental Management and the Office of Environmental Adjudication.
• Working with clients in the Indiana Department of Environmental Management's Voluntary Remediation Program and the State Cleanup Program.
• Coordinating and supervising environmental audits for corporate clients.
• Working with clients to secure and comply with NPDES and industrial discharge permits.
Phil is a frequent speaker on the topics of CERCLA, the Clean Water Act, RCRA, wetlands and underground storage tanks. He is the author of many publications, including a manual titled, "Wetlands Law and Regulations in Indiana."
Phil was born in Iowa City, Iowa, and raised in West Lafayette, Ind. He received his Bachelor of Science in industrial management and chemical engineering from Purdue University, where he graduated with highest distinction. He obtained his Master of Science in industrial administration from Purdue University, graduating with highest distinction in 1972. In 1975 he received his juris doctorate from Indiana University, Bloomington, graduating cum laude.
Phil joined Ice Miller in 1975. He is admitted to practice law in the state of Indiana.