Press Coverage

Tim Belevetz Quoted in The Washington Post: "Classified Documents Case Against Bolton Could Take Years, Experts Say"

October 18, 2025 – The Washington Post
Timothy D. Belevetz export image

Ice Miller partner Tim Belevetz was quoted in The Washington Post article, "Classified documents case against Bolton could take years, experts say."

The article included:

According to the indictment, Bolton sent his messages through a personal email account that was later hacked by someone U.S. authorities believe was linked to the government of Iran.

Bolton told authorities that his email had been hacked, but allegedly omitted that he had used that email to send sensitive information to his relatives. Prosecutors did not charge Bolton with any crime related to that alleged omission, but legal experts said it could have factored into the ultimate charging decision.

“The prosecution would use this to say this is a half-truth,” said Tim Belevetz, a former federal prosecutor and chief of the financial crimes and public corruption unit in the Eastern District of Virginia. “He’s got an obligation to advise the government that his email has been hacked because of the nature of his former position. But by not revealing the full scope of what happened, they’re going to argue you’re trying to conceal something.”

Click here to read the full article. Login may be required.

Related People

Related Services & Industries

<p>Sign up now to receive periodic updates from Ice Miller&rsquo;s legal professionals.</p>

Sign up now to receive periodic updates from Ice Miller’s legal professionals.

Subscribe

Firm Highlights